Other resources to help you cope

If you need to talk to someone now, consider phoning the Samaritans on 116 123

Always start with your GP because they are best placed to make a diagnosis and treat you themselves or point you in the right direction. Sometimes they have counsellors and therapists who work for the NHS and visit their surgeries. They will also be able to help you find the most appropriate treatment elsewhere if they can’t help you at their surgery.

If you would rather not see your GP, and you live in England, you can make use of an NHS service called IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) at https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-psychological-therapies-service/

You can also find counsellors and therapists in the Yellow Pages, but it is important to make sure they are appropriately qualified.

Here are some of the professional organisations that accredit therapists.

The UK Council for Psychotherapy www.psychotherapy.org.uk/

A useful guide to the many types of treatment and a list of accredited psychotherapists.

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy www.bacp.co.uk/

Accredits counsellors and psychologists and gives guidance on choosing a suitable person.

Powered by WordPress | Sitemap | Log in